Sleepless nights with Mcullin

7 Jul 2013



I wake early.

To fill the space between then and finding the energy to start my day I sometimes read and I sometimes watch iplayer.

Today I discovered a fascinating documentary called McCullin.  You see, I have an immediate like for people with passions.  For people who set aside what they should do and stride along the paths they want to.

All pictures are taken by Don McCullin.  I hope you don't mind me using them on my website.

The sun rose whilst photographer Don McCullin with great honesty recounted his days covering wars and conflicts in Cyprus, Cambodia, Vietnam and Northern Island.


He captured moments that didn't need words or explanation.


He said plenty, but it's the pictures I remember.  I thought I'd like one of those to grace a space on a wall where I call home.  

His work is honest, powerful, beautiful and raw.   He makes me want to go out into the world and do better and do my bit.


He said he stopped working for the Sunday Times when its new owner Rupert Murdoch decided he wanted to move away from "this kind of harsh realism and concentrate on the pleasures of life." 



But I figure we are surrounded by so many delights that such stark reminders are needed to prick our bubbles and burst them more often than once in a while. 

Nowadays he takes pictures of landscapes and is spending his time trying to erase a lifetime of horrors.

The documentary ends.  

And I start the day a little more grateful for it than when I awoke.



The love affair I've had 
with photography
 has been total 
commitment 
and I've not taken any 
short cuts to do it.
- Don McCullin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger