Will you ever go to Brockenhurst?

18 Mar 2013



My friend's sister's surname is Brockenhurst, so getting the train to a place called Brockenhurst felt perfectly familiar.  It made me think I must email Sophie and ask her how she is, get an update on little baby Grace and catch up with a lovely friend.

If you ever venture to this sleepy village peppered with walkers, hikers, half marathon runners and people with fancy expensive cars parked in fancy backwater pubs then I suggest you go to two places to satisfy your visual lust for antique plates and pretty things made a long long time ago.

Before having a browse, I did a little bit of happy squealing and hugging.  It's the automatic and natural response that nature kicks in when you haven't seen a fabulous girlie friend for an unreasonable length of time.  There's the realisation that you've missed them and the excitement manifests into high pitch noises of happiness. Well that's what happened when I met Hannah in Brockenhurst for lunch and before we found Pinapple Retro and the Squirrel.

Anyway, I do dribble on - here's the low down. 

Pineapple Retro

We spent more time entering the postcode of this shop into our sat nav than it took us to find it.  It's on the main road that runs through the village called Lyndenhurst and it's really easy to find.


The shed like shop feels small and perfectly crammed with bright retro goodies.  The medium sized kitchen set in the middle of the room was decorated with today's fresh flowers.


The owner was delighted to see us.  I'm sure she's like that with all who enter, but it's a wonderful skill to make your customers feel individually welcomed.


This little spot is up for vintage shop of the year and when she told Hannah and I we squealed again - which I thought was kind of us, but slightly over enthusiastic.  But being the best of something or being nominated to be the best of something must feel really nice.


The focus of time here is between 1950 and 1970.  It's the type of place you walk around and think - oh that's nice, oh that's nice - oh that's even nicer.
There's definitely lots of items to catch people's attention and encourage you to dart about the shop - touching, feeling, picking up, putting back and picking up again.

Squirrel

What a delicate space to show such delicate beautiful items.  The decor is a wonderful canvas for china plates etched in flowers, wispy leaves and patterns.


Hannah took the lead and thought we may as well have a look inside because it's next door to Pineapple Retro.  I assumed the price tagging system was similar to its neighbour so I was content at standing back and taking lots of photos.

But this place also had the darting affect.  Hannah went from shelve to shelve exclaiming how much she wanted each new affordable find.  So I started taking a little more notice.


There was a tea set for £225. It was like artwork on the wall, the owner said she wanted to keep it and just look at it.  I understand that train of thought.


I saw a jug, but I don't need a jug, so I put it back. It was only £7, but I thought I'd prefer a glass of red wine today with my Sunday roast.

Hannah and a jug. Hannah and a pot.
Once you are ready to pay, the sight of the cash machine is a treat.  I played supermarkets and  fish & chip shop when I was younger than 10 and this cash machine would have been a grateful play addition.


It doesn't work, but the owner likes to press the buttons and look at it every day.

But my favourite bit is the opening hours of the shop - in winter - from 9 am till dusk.

"Who says that these days?" 

But when I saw it on their business card I thought...oh...I like that.

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog about two fab shops!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much Sue. You're my first comment on this new little blog project of mine. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger