The journey of a vintage dress on BBC Woman's Hour today.

12 Nov 2013



Today I'm on radio.  

Happy days!!!

I'm a journalist that loves all things vintage, so I got the chance to indulge in two things that I love.

The radio piece is about the frock I'm wearing above. 

I bought it. 

Then I wondered how often do you get to buy an affordable dress made in Britain.

So I did a little research.

And what I discovered led me to putting a mini doc together for Woman's Hour on BBC.

When I found out it was being aired I felt the same way when I suggested the idea and they said yes - thoroughly delighted.

I remember traveling to the fashion house Shubette of London to meet some of the people who remember making this dress decades ago.  I spent time with a pattern cutter, a seamstress, and the grandson of the founder who now runs the fashion ship. 

I imagined Shubette to be a little like the House of Elliot.  A little bit lived in, a little historic and cramped.  Instead I walked through the glass doors, sat in the pristine white sparse modern reception and spent the next few hours in its sophisticated air talking about the journey of my vintage dress. 

You can listen to it here

Happy listening.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger