I can sew straight lines already

21 Jan 2013



I have started this opening sentence a fair few times, because I just don't know what to write down first.  How can an hour and a bit at a sewing class make one so happy, jolly, enthusiastic, excited and a wee bitty too giddy.  Am I normal?

Jenni is my new sewing teacher/master and I think I'm going to be her next prodigy, because I can already sew straight, curvy, zig-zag lines and follow the 1.5 cm edge.  Her teaching style is perfect for me.  No long winded explanation of all the buttons blah blah blah.  After an intro chat about life, flats, her cat called stumpy, she let me get straight into it and my foot was paddling away. (Is it even called a paddle? I don't know. Maybe it's simply called a foot pedal????????????)

Jenni teaching me the importance of getting the edge right.  Get it wrong and my dress won't fit. Can't let that happen.
My brain has retained all the stuff about tension.  I know the correct thread strain will ensure the machine does what I expected it to depending on the material.  When we talked about getting a sewing machine, she understood my needs - solid, cheap, reliable, not brand new and most of all really pretty.  She agreed on all points and I thought - yes we are going to get on well.  So I'm off to a shop in Eastleigh on Saturday to get me a second hand beauty.  Already wishing Saturday was tomorrow.

In my next lesson I'm making my own needle cushion.  Boring maybe, but I need one anyway, especially one made by me.  I'm also making a silk pillow case.  I've read soooooo many times, Afro hair needs to rest on silk at night to help prevent split ends.  Do you know how many times I've googled silk pillows and never pressed the buy button?

Well, now I'm going to make my own and that just makes me very pleased (with me).   I've never liked silk and can't imagine what I'll get at the material shop that will be nice.  I've decided to pick white with holiday blue stitching around the corners.  I'm obsessed with that colour at the moment.

Me creating a a straight line through the dots
Then after doing small stuff like Male Pattern Boldness said,  I'm allowed to start on the dress I mentioned in it's the year of the sew.   Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! now this is the most exciting part.  I thought I'd be sewing some random bit of nothing before I got to what I actually wanted to do, but marvellous Jenni welcomed the idea of my silk pillow case and dress with an enthusiastic nod.  Male Pattern Boldness did say "make something you like and make up your own rules" and I have a good feeling master Jenni will let me.  So all is well.

I am on my way.  I'm one teeny weeny step closer to arriving at the wedding in an outfit that will have been put together by me with mixed emotions - frustration, joy, enthusiasm and apathy.  I'm sure I'll swear, loose interest, get obsessed and say uchhhhhhhhhh a lot.

My sewing master is confident the May deadline isn't a problem.  So Cinderella shall go to the wedding and maybe find herself her own prince charming amongst the left over men at the end.

Ha, I just hope when the clock strikes midnight my dress doesn't fall apart. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger