a bit of colourful metal can make a little difference

19 Feb 2013



Have you read the Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins? Amazing. 

If you have then you will know about the Mockingjay - the black bird emblem that becomes a symbol of hope to District 13.  Slightly obsessed by the trilogy I got me my own symbol when I found this glaring out at me at the vintage Market at South Tyneside Station in Newcastle.    


I do miss my Sunday morning treat.  Sitting in the front seat of the metro, leaving behind the city and staring ahead waiting too see the sea.  


Meandering past stalls, catching a glimpse of something a little bit precious, strolling slowly down to the beach with friends (it's a Sunday, you ain't meant to rush on a Sunday) and hoping the seagulls don't poop on my head.

This is my ex wonderful flatemate Lingi.  We sat round the kitchen table for hours.  She'd do her work on the computer and I'd sit on her bed and chat her ears off and she would listen and we would laugh, then we would cook a buffet and eat and talk some more and do it all again the next day. 
The circular pendant with real dried bright blue and pink flowers is presently my broach of the moment.  It was a happy little £3.50 find at the market.   I think it's beautiful.


I permanently borrowed the flower bouquet from my mother's drawer - so that came for free.  Did I tell you I love free things?

The few broaches that I have give my plain high street dresses a dash of vintage.  I pull the neck down, give myself a little cleavage and pin the things in the right place to keep it all together.  I've got a dress that shows my bosoms way too much, so I do the opposite and pull it high on round my neck, pin the dress and them I'm happy and it still all looks aye ok.

A necklace and a broach.  My mum used to go to an OAP market every Friday.  She took me one day and I treated myself.
Sometimes they find a place on my winter beanies.  It's my easy way of making things feel a little bit different to everything else.

People can spend a lot on broaches,  but I can't because I know I will one day look down and it will be gone.

I'm more emotionally attached to things (is that bad or good? - who knows, who cares).  Most things I have has a little reason for being there.  I was with so and so at the time - or this or that happened and that's why I have it now.


I know if I lost my golden Mockingjay or the cheap yet beautiful flower circle or my mum's broken bouquet, I'd spend way too much time for the rest of my whole life thinking about them all. 

So I must admit, sometimes I just keep them in a box or pin them on my wall and when I remember  to notice them, I think my don't you look pretty today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger