I nearly have a machine

4 Mar 2013



Novum is the term used by a scholar dude Darko Suvin to describe the scientifically plausible innovations used by science fiction narratives.  Boring? Maybe.

Well, it's also a Latin superlative meaning - something new, fresh, young and innovative.  I like that.

So, I'm proud to declare, it's also the brand of sewing machine I excavated from my storage of possessions and never ever had the intentions of ever using.  It was once just a luscious dead weight sitting in the corner of my rented attic room attracting dust and my glances.

Now there is joy because my local sewing centre says they can MOT it, ELECTRIFY it and bring it into my life for a whole £70 and a bit.  So as long as this sewing machine obsession thing sticks, I will be stitching away in sewing heaven.  A flap on the wood base revealed a tin box with lots of little extras labelled and ready to be of some use.  There's even a miniature bottle of oil  I presume is as old as the 1950-60s machine.  A little gross I'm thinking, but let's just call it "added charm."


I've read Novum was taken over by Jerome and I'm told Jerome is v good.  I was also told to get a heavy machine and this is one would chop off my toes and send them crashing through the floor if it were ever to be dropped.

I'm a little anxious because paying for an upgrade doesn't mean it will work to my satisfaction.  There's hundreds on ebay for less, that could be better.  It's like buying a second hand car and hoping all the money you lavish on it will guarantee it works.


But stumpy - my sewing master's cat likes hanging around the machine, so I'm taking that as a sign. 

He lives with no tail.  Other cats wait at his flap, so they can pounce or do what cats do when they wanna fight instead of play.  So I figure he's got good karma floating around his paws.

I hope all goes well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger