One pin cushion created

1 Feb 2013


I have a pin cushion, but have no pins yet.  Does that matter?

I am delighted with my first tangible artifact from my 2nd sewing class, even though its found a new home on the floor in the corner of my room.  

It's not that I'm not proud of it, but I can't erase the fact that the pin cushion without pins is simply a square bit of fabric with some ex pillow fluff inside - it's not a dress is it?  If it was a dress, well I don't think it would be on my floor.  

Now anyone can sew a pin cushion, but not anyone can do it the proper way like I did.  I used a proper square cardboard template cutter, tacked it, then used proper sewing scissors, that protect your knuckles. Then I tacked it again.  I was slightly disappointed with the news that I'd have to tack everything I ever make before it gets machined.  I just thought, put the pins in and then use the machine, BUT NO.  You just don't do that.  


Master Jenny is teaching me the correct way to do everything.  She says it's then easier to break the rules and cut corners and I like that way of thinking.  So everything I am doing now is correct. Everything I will do in a years time will be done Ena style.  Hurrah!!!!

So correct rules state:

:: You must wash your material before you start sewing and cutting it up. What a bother I thought, but  if I don't my dress will shrink in the wash and it won't fit and that is just now allowed to happen.

:: Iron out any creases in the material.  I can do that no problems.

:: Always sew the "good sides together", which basically means always sew inside out.

:: Thread matching.  We did a whole section on this, but my mind wondered because I was thinking about someone.  I realise lessons on bobbins and the technical stuff make me retreat into my own little fairytale dreams which I will endeavour to not to do next time.  I may have not been listening but I did write it down. 


:: Thread for tacking should always be arms length.  I thought that's a good bit of advice.  All my life the thread has been too long and gets knotted or too short it's useless.  

:: Basting means tacking.  Americans say basting we say tacking and I'm told most patterns for dresses talk about basting.  I wouldn't know that cause I'm not onto dresses yet. Sad face. 

My biggest problem is that I don't have a machine.  Saturday arrived, the sun was shinning, I could still taste the whisky from last nights Burns celebrations.  I do love being Scottish.  I was told to go to Eastleigh Sewing Centre and so I did and expected to fall in love and I didn't.  I think I romanticised a little to hard about meeting my machine.  I met these two. 


I now realise I must look harder for a machine, make a decision and make a purchase.  I can't practice at home right now and in order to become Master Jenny's prodigy I must surround myself with pin cushions.  The more pin cushions in my life the better I'll be.

Pin cushion in a tea cup. Nice.  No sewing involved, so not ideal.
Oh and today I found a wonderful wonderful material shop Ateliers six minutes from my house. The one in town I've decided is yuk.  This place just has rows and rows of stuff I want to buy.  But first I must get a machine.



I may have all the material in the world, but if I don't have a machine, I don't have me a dress. 












0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger