Make a place for yourself to be creative

14 Jan 2013



This was the corner of my world that gave me some peace.

I'm a city girl.

I didn't think Glasgow bred appreciation of things that were green.  I thought I grew up in grey streets only finding colour at home.  African food, Africans materials, African ways of communicating.  We all talk loudly when my family gets together.  Loud with love.

In London, I insisted on living close to parks.  When I went back to Scotland I noticed all the wide open spaces that I'd taken for granted.

In Newcastle I lived right in the city.  And this is where I created this space. This view - limited but satisfactory.

The desk cost me £5 from a second hand sale in North Shield (Newcastle) and Brian, a seller, a man with a van that I'd never met said he'd drop it by.

The light was given to me by a friend and if you look close enough, very close there is a slide.  I found it in my mum's attic. It's a picture of her looking so content.  I stuck it onto the lamp and let the light shine through her eyes and her smile.  I think I'm going to find more slides.

Anyway, I've moved from this space, but I replicate it where ever I go.  I have a similar look here where I am.  


The view is less green, I have not yet heard the birds, but I've seen the cat with a dodgy neck that scrambles confidently across my path.  I am much happier, so the view becomes less important (I think).

Now when I'm writing, I'm typing on good memories.  I'm close to some things that matter to me and when I finally take a break to look up, I always like what I see.

Where's your space?

I feel I've had this little plaque all my life.  It sits on my desk or sometimes I blue-tac it to my window, so it's staring at me. I never ever want to loose this. x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I saw her heart on her face All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger